2008-04-17

How to fix Wikipedia, part 0

Wikipedia being broken beyond repair, it can't be fixed, per se. However, a thorough understanding of how exactly it is broken may aid people in developing a better replacement.

I have studied a number of incidents, and I think I now understand a large part, although not yet all, of the problems that make Wikipedia suck. For some, I can recommend remedies; for some -- not yet. Although a lot of the problems are social or epistemological (or misological, as the case may be), and not technical, my focus is on technical solutions. Some of them should be able to fix some of the social problems, but there are still issues worth considering.

I'm planning to cover roughly these topics:
  • Edit wars
  • Class conflicts
  • Misgovernance
  • Cabalism
  • Scope of crowd-sourcing
  • Lack of gnomes
  • Fringe faiths
  • The fallacy of consensus
  • Systemic misology
  • Consistency
However, I'm not yet done with all the writing, and the structure may yet to change. This post should become an index, though.

No comments: